We Have Moved: Check out our all-new website!

May 10, 2008
For the full version: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iFWOPXyuO2uN_KXSSPmMiphiBAQ
____
Malaysian David earns revenge at British Open


LIVERPOOL, England (AFP) — Nicol David, the Asian sportswoman of the year, dug herself out of trouble to earn a notable revenge and a place in the semi-finals of the British Open.

The world number one from Malaysia was a game and 4-7 down and yet recovered to win 7-9, 9-7, 9-5, 9-2 against Shelley Kitchen, the New Zealander who had delivered her a stunning defeat in the World Open in Madrid seven months ago.

Kitchen looked if anything to a better player now than she did then, but David did a better job of dealing with the pressure which the hard-hitting six-foot two-inch Kiwi applied.

"I had to get my bearings. I had to get things going, and I told myself not to let her in before I got my rhythm and gained momentum." said David, referring to the need to adapt from the first match, which was played on a conventional plaster court for the first round, to a cooler, slower glass show-court.

"I'm really pleased to win that," said David. "She's been giving everyone a hard time and it wasn't at all easy."

David now plays Natalie Grainger, the former world number one who was born only 30 miles away from here but who is now an American.

The winner is bound to play a surprise finalist because both Rachael Grinham, the defending champion, and her younger sister Natalie Grinham, the Commonwealth champion, were beaten in the bottom half.

0 comments: